exp.wiki NEU
WICHTIG: Das exp.wiki wurde aktualisiert und ist ab sofort unter einer neuen Adresse zu erreichen: https://exparch-www.uibk.ac.at/testwiki
Bitte das Anlegen neuer Seiten oder die Änderungen bestehender ab sofort ausschließlich dort durchführen.
Bestehende Projektseiten wurden/werden migriert und sind auch auf der neuen Plattform vorhanden.

Spitalfield Market

Aus exp.wiki

Wechseln zu: Navigation, Suche
Architekt Foster & Partners
Detail
Fertigstellung 2005-06-13
Image Bild:Spitalfields Market.jpg
Ingenieur Foster & Partners
Auftraggeber Sir Robert Mc Alpine
Ort London
Primärtragstruktur Glas
Gebäudetyp Wirtschaft.Industrie.Dienstleistungen

Inhaltsverzeichnis

Introduction

Old Spitalfields Market is a covered market in Spitalfields, just outside the City of London. It is in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets.

There has been a market on the site since 1638 when Charles I of England gave a license for meat, fowl and roots to be sold on Spittle Fields - which was then a rural area on the eastern outskirts of London. After the rights to a market had seemingly lapsed during the time of the Commonwealth, the market was refunded in 1682 by Charles II in order to feed the burgeoning population of a new suburb of London. Market buildings were sited on the rectangular patch of open ground which retained the name Spittle Fields: demarcated by Crispin Street to the west, Lamb Street to the north, Red Lion Street (later subsumed into Commercial Street) to the east and Paternoster Row (later known as Brushfield Street) to the south. The existing buildings were built in 1887 to service a wholesale market, owned by the City of London Corporation. Spitalfields Market was extended westward to Steward Street in 1926, destroying the northern extensions of Crispin Street and Gun Street in the process.

The original wholesale fruit and vegetable market moved to New Spitalfields Market in 1991.

Philosophy

Foster + Partners has always been guided by a belief that the quality of our surroundings has a direct influence on the quality of our lives, whether that is in the workplace, at home or in the public realm. Allied to that is an acknowledgment that architecture is generated by the needs of people - both material and spiritual - and a concern for the physical context and the culture and climate of place. Equally, excellence of design and its successful execution are central to our approach.

We believe the best architecture comes from a synthesis of all the elements that separately comprise and inform the character of a building: the structure that holds it up; the services that allow it to function; its ecology; the quality of natural light; the symbolism of the form; the relationship of the building to the skyline or the street-scape; the way you move through or around it; and last but not least its ability to lift the spirits. This holistic approach is augmented by a strong commitment to the clients we serve, and also to the public domain and the many users involved. A high degree of personal service, coupled with respect for the precious resources of cost and time, therefore characterizes our client relationships.

The scale, diversity and global reach of our new projects were unimaginable 40 years ago, yet many of the issues that excited us in the early days continue to inform what we do today. We work in the spirit of enquiry, challenging preconceptions and testing conventions. The process of ‘reinvention’ distinguishes all of our work – past and present – and rests on a duty to design well and to design responsibly – whether that is at the scale of an airport or a door handle. The last decades have witnessed key shifts in public attitudes to ecology and energy consumption. We have always anticipated these trends, pioneering design solutions that use totally renewable sources of energy and offer dramatic reductions in CO2 emissions. Environmental awareness is an integral part of the practice’s culture as it evolves to meet the challenges of the next forty years.

Redesign

In the late 20th century, there was a dispute between the owners, the City of London Corporation and Spitalfields residents about the redevelopment of the 1926 market extension at the western end. The corporation won, and now a Norman Foster designed office block surrounds the western end of the site, after two thirds of the historic market were rebuilt to include restaurants, shops and a large award winning indoor arts and crafts market, called the Traders Market.

Pictures

Sources

Weblinks

Wikipedia Old Spitalfields Market]

Offical Homepage]

Homepages

http://en.wikipedia.org

http://www.e-architect.co.uk

http://www.spitalfields.co.uk

http://www.baunetz.de/meldungen/Meldungen_Foster_stellt_Gewerbekomplex_in_London_fertig_20409.html?action=suche&s_text=bishop&epp=10&backurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.baunetz.de%2Fmeldungen%2Fsuche.html%3Faction%3Dsuche%26s_text%3Dbishop%26showall%3D0%26epp%3D10

Location

Fakten zu Spitalfield MarketRDF-Feed
ArchitektFoster & Partners  +
AuftraggeberSir Robert Mc Alpine  +
Fertigstellung2005-06-13  +
GebäudetypWirtschaft.Industrie.Dienstleistungen  +
ImageSpitalfields Market.jpg  +
IngenieurFoster & Partners  +
OrtLondon  +
PrimärtragstrukturGlas  +
Persönliche Werkzeuge